Zucchini Corn Pancakes
Yield: about 12 medium sized pancakes
- ½ cup (330g) shredded zucchini, squeezed dry
- 1 cup (125g) corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
- ¼ cup (56g) shredded onion
- ½ cup (25g) grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 1/2cup (195g) whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250g) buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp (28g) butter, melted
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the corn, onion, zucchini, and parmesan in a large bowl.
- Stir the whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt together in another bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter in a third bowl.
- Pour the egg batter into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the parmesan and vegetable mixture and stir lightly until everything is incorporated.
- Heat oil in a pan and add a spoonful of batter. Cook like a regular pancake. Alternatively, you can bake in a 350F oven in a large pan for about 20-25 minutes, then cut into squares.
Nutrition Tip: These pancakes are a great way to eat your greens! They can be eaten with a meal or as a snack.
For Little Chefs: Bring bowls with all the different ingredients to the class. Go through each ingredient with the kids. Have them grate zucchini and cheese, then ring out the zucchini super tight to get out all the extra water. The kids can mix all the ingredients. Take the batter back to the kitchen to cook off, then return in time for lunch or snack.