Zucchini Bread with Pumpkin Seeds
Yield: 1 loaf
- 2 cups (260g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup (250g) sugar
- ½ cup (65g) pumpkin seeds, toasted and chopped
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (110g) vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup (80g) orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp grated ginger root
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup (210g) grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a loaf or 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar to blend.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, orange juice, orange zest, ginger and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Gently fold in zucchini and pumpkin seeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Tip: Summer time is peak season for zucchini, meaning there is a lot of it and it is delicious and ripe. This is one great way to use it up. Zucchini is high in Vitamin B6, potassium, and Vitamin C. The pumpkin seeds add crunch, protein, iron, and healthy fats.
For Little Chefs: Bring bowls with all the different ingredients to the class. Go through each ingredient with the kids. Have them grate zucchini, zest the orange, and mix up all the ingredients. Take the batter to the kitchen to bake, then return in time for snack.