Jamaican Curry Chicken
Yield: about 4 servings
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, bite sized pieces
- 1 potato, diced
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- In a pot over high heat, add oil, thyme, ginger and curry powder cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes, or until almost fully cooked through.
- Add potatoes, onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add water if the curry looks dry (up to 1/2 cup).
- Turn the heat off, stir and serve with rice
Nutrition Tip: This dish has lots of green vegetables, can you name them? It is a complete meal because it provides protein (chicken), carbohydrates (potatoes), vegetables (peas, spinach, onions, and peppers), and healthy fats (vegetable oil).