- ½ cup (112g) + ¼ cup (56g) unsalted, cold butter, cubed, plus more for the pan, divided
- 1 ½ cup (195g) +1/2 cup (65g) unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ c (50g) + ½ cup (75g) sugar, divided
- ¼ tsp + ¼ tsp Kosher salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (350g) dried dates, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup (52g) packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup (65g) rolled oats
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line a full sheet pan with parchment, leaving a 2inch overhang. Grease parchment and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine 1 ½ cup flour, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ tsp salt, and ½ cup butter. Pulse to combine. Add egg and pulse until evenly moistened.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan; press into bottom. Freeze for 10 min. Bake until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine dates, ½ cup sugar, and cider. Cook over medium heat until soft and the consistency of jam. Puree mixture in food processor until smooth. Stir in lemon zest. Spread mixture evenly over baked crust.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oats, ½ cup flour, brown sugar, ¼ tsp salt, and cinnamon. Using your hands, work in ½ cup butter to form crumbs. Evenly distribute crumbs over filling to cover.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is set, 20 to 25 minutes. Run a paring knife around edges of pan to loosen; let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Using parchment overhang, remove from pan; cut into squares using a serrated knife.
Nutrition Tip: Dates are a tasty dried fruit that act as a natural sweetener.