Banana Bread Mini Muffins
Yield: about 24 mini muffins
- 1 stick (122g) butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 ½ cup (195g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (65g (whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1 ½ tsps (7g) baking powder
- ¾ cup (150) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (50g) unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin pan and fill with paper inserts.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder together in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Add brown sugar and bananas until smooth.
- Add wet to dry and mix lightly with a rubber spatula. It's ok if some lumps remain.
- Fold in coconut.
- Portion into prepared pan. Bake until nicely domed, lightly browned on top. Do not over-bake as they will become dry.
Nutrition Tip: Bananas are a delicious and healthy natural sweetener. Mashing them up in the batter makes the bread sweet and moist without adding lots of sugar and fats. Using whole wheat flour adds fibre, making these a great snack or treat!
For Little Chefs: Bring bowls of all the different ingredients to the class and go through each one with the students. Kids can mash up the banana, mix the batter, and portion into muffin tins. Bring the prepared trays back to the kitchen to bake, and bring them back in time for snack!