- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup quick oats
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 305F. Grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together white sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in grated zucchini and chocolate chips, being careful not to over mix.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Tip: The zucchini, whole wheat flour, and oats help boost the fibre content, keeping kids feeling full and helping their digestive systems move food through. Using applesauce keeps them moist while using a natural sugar. Zucchini is great in baking because it provides natural moisture and Vitamin C. While serving, tell the kids these brownies have a super special ingredient- can they guess what it is?
For Little Chefs: Bring all ingredients to the classroom in separate bowls. Go through each ingredient. Have the kids grate the zucchini and mix everything together. Take the batter to the kitchen to bake, then return to the classroom with the finished brownies in time for snack!