Veggie Fiesta Quesadillas
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 package shredded cheese (320g)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 can of corn niblets, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- In a bowl combine tomatoes, corn, beans, lime juice, and spices. Mix to combines and drain excess liquid. Divide mixture into 4.
- Heat a frying pan to medium high and spray a bit of non stick oil to coat the pan.
- Lay tortillas flat and lay 1/4 of the vegetable mixture on each tortilla in a half moon shape (so half the tortilla is covered)
- Fold each tortilla in half over the filling.
- Place quesadillas two at a time into the pan and cook for about two minutes per side or until it is lightly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with guacamole, salsa, and/or sour cream to dip.
Nutrition Tip: Black beans are high in protein and fibre, keeping your muscles strong and digestive system working well! Use any veggies here, but be sure to keep it colorful!
For Little Chefs: Kids can fill their own quesadilla before handing them off to be pan fried in the kitchen. While the quesadillas cook, have kids prepare guacamole by mashing up avocados and adding flavorings (see next page for recipe).