Yield: 4 servings
- 1 340g box multigrain penne
- 2 170g cans solid light tuna, packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1 1lb can diced tomatoes with herbs
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and cook for a few of minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add garlic and vegetables and saute until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and seasonings.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Flake the tuna into the sauce and heat through.
- Drain the pasta, and add to the saucepan. Add chopper basil leaves and stir everything together
Nutrition Tip: Can you name the three food groups represented in this dish? (A: grains, meat and alternative, vegetables). Canned tuna and whole grain pasta are both great staples to keep in your pantry for any time you need a quick meal. Tuna is an inexpensive and lean protein source. Use any veggies you like or have on hand! This easy dish is also great for kids to prepare.