Yield: 8 squares
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, vinegar, water and butter.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the cornmeal mixture and fold together the ingredients until combined.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and tester inserted into the middle of the cornbread comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
For Little Chefs: Bring all ingredients to the classroom in separate bowls. Go through each ingredient and have the kids mix everything together. Take the batter to the kitchen to bake, then return to the classroom with the finished corn bread in time to eat!