Secret Spinach Double Chocolate Muffins
Yield: 12-14 muffins
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour or light spelt flour
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup milk
- 1 (5 ounces) bags fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup mashed banana (from about 1 to 2 bananas)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a blender, blend applesauce, milk, banana, vanilla, and spinach on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups about ¾ full and bake 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Tip: The fruits, veggies, and use of whole wheat flour and oats help boost the fibre content, keeping kids feeling full and helping their digestive systems move food through. Using applesauce and mashed banana keeps them moist while using a natural sugar. While serving, tell the kids these brownies have a super special ingredient- can they guess what it is?