Half and Half Burgers
Yield: 6 patties
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 carrots
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Grate the onion, carrots, and green pepper by hand or with a food processor.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the egg and add grated vegetables until coated.
- Add the mushrooms, meat, and seasonings until well combined
- Form mixture into 6 patties. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the patties. Sear them until they're dark brown on one side, about 5 minutes, then flip them and sear for another 5 minutes on the second side. Burgers should have an internal temperature of 160-170.
- Serve on toasted buns with your favourite condiments and fresh vegetables.
Nutrition Tip: Mushrooms have a meaty texture and flavor- they are great in vegetarian or vegan recipes. Adding mushrooms to recipes like this is a great way to ‘stretch’ your protein, reducing costs and consumption of red meat. But remember, mushrooms cannot replace meat because they do not have protein. Carrots and green peppers keep these burgers colourful and full of veggies!