Yield: 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Stir in the grated apple and carrot until coated by dry mixture.
- Beat eggs with vanilla extract, oil, and applesauce in a separate bowl.
- Pour egg mixture into dry mixture and mix until smooth and combined.
- Fill muffin tin evenly, about ¾ of the way full and bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes about clean.
- Place flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and sugar into a large bowl and stir until combined.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup grated apple
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
Nutrition Tip: These muffins are a great way to sneak in some fruits and veggies. This, plus the combination of whole wheat flour and oats help boost the fibre content. Carrots are high in vitamin A which is good for our eyes. Using applesauce keeps them moist while using a natural sugar.
For Little Chefs: Bring all the ingredients in separate bowls to the classroom. After going through each ingredient, have them grate the apples and carrots, then make the batter and portion into muffin tins. Take the prepared tins to the oven then return them to the class for snack time later on.