The summerlunch+ spotlight on: STRAWBERRIES!
In the garden:
- Strawberries are fruits that grow in short bushes along the ground.
- Every healthy flower you see in a strawberry bush will become a strawberry!
On your plate:
- Strawberries are low in sugar and a source of fibre, which helps you to feel full and have longer-lasting energy.
- Strawberries also have vitamin C, which helps you not to get sick!
- Strawberries are sweet in salads, on desserts, or eaten just as they are.
In Certain Ontario farms, you can pay to pick-your-own-strawberries from the fields. Freshly-picked, local strawberries are so sweet to eat!
Like mint, strawberries send out “arms” to another spot in the garden, and a new strawberry bush starts growing from that spot!