The summerlunch+ spotlight on: EGGPLANTS!
In the garden:
- Eggplants come in white, green, and various shades of purple, and can be long and skinny, or short and round.
- The stem and leaves of eggplants may have small, sharp thorns. Be careful when handling eggplants in the garden.
On your plate:
- Eggplants are a source of Fibre, which helps to keep your digestive system healthy and regular!
- The phytochemicals that give eggplant their purple colour may help prevent certain cancers and heart disease.
- Steam, roast, grill, or use eggplants in a stew or curry.
“Vegetable or fruit?”:
Although many people use eggplants as a vegetable, eggplants are actually a fruit (this means is comes from the flower of the plant)!