Key Learning: Learn and use different terms to describe foods (texture, smell, taste), try new foods
Equipment Needed: bite sized amounts of different foods (ex yogurt, cheese, dried or fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds, dry cereal)
Type: Lunchtime Education
- Tell the students they will be using their senses of taste, smell, and touch (texture of food in the mouth) to identify foods.
- Check if there are any food allergies among students in the class. Do not include any foods that students are allergic to.
- Remember safe food handling measures (wash hands with soap, use clean utensils only, and keep cold foods refrigerated until tasting time). See above background information for safety tips.
- Blindfold participants, one at a time, and select other class members to feed small amounts of the samples to those blindfolded.
- Participants are given food samples to taste and then asked to identify the food. Remind students to not give away the answers to those guessing.